So the day began hectic....and ended hectic. Jared and I woke up super early to pack up the rest of what needed to be packed in my apartment since I was moving out, the same day as my flight. We hauled everything home and moved the last bit of stuff back into my room at home. With no time to even rest we were back out the door by 1:30 pm on our way to catch my flight. I was a little nervous because I was flying out of Newark, New Jersey airport and had never flown to or from that airport before.
We waited in line to check my bags and in no time they were riding down the belt off to Sweden. Everything was still so surreal to me and it hadn't set in that I was actually leaving, and actually staying in another country alone for a solid 4 and a half months.
Jared, my mom, my sister and I all got some food since we had some time to spare. I wasn't even hungry because all I could think about was boarding the plane and leaving everyone and everything behind me. It was a lot of mixed emotions at this point. I wasn't sure how I should feel and if what I felt was right....until the time came where I had to walk through security and say my goodbyes. Of course my mom started crying instantly (even though she claimed she wouldn't) and I could tell she would be worried sick for the next 4 months until she saw me again. Said some I'll be fine's and i'll miss you's and I love you's and then was off. Who knew this would be the start to the worst traveling of my life...
To start the trip off right, my plane was delayed. of course...why wouldn't it be? I was supposed to leave Newark around 9 pm monday...and didn't end up leaving until about an hour later. I wasn't worried at this point because I knew I had time in between at my layover in London. A few last minute texts to Jared and Krista and I was boarding the plane.
Let's just say the plane ride was by far...the worst, and I mean worst flight turbulence wise that I have ever been on. It didn't make sense to me because the skies were clear and there wasn't any bad weather, but I honestly had never been more scared on a flight that we were going to take an unexpected landing. The flight attendants started to come around with dinner for everyone, but the last thing on my mind right now was food. I took something anyways because I knew I'd get hungry. I took two bites of my lasagna and almost had to beeline to the bathroom. I couldn't take another bite without thinking it would come right back up. so...that was it for my dinner. I forced myself to pass out so I wouldn't feel the turbulence anymore, and luckily woke up only an hour away.
We arrived in London, England and I made it right through customs with no problems. But, of course, I would soon find out this flight was delayed as well. The plane didn't take off until about 1 oclock when it was scheduled to leave at 11ish. Super. NOW the only thing on my mind is that there is NO WAY in hell I am going to make my train from Stockholm to Vaxjo. There would be no issue if I hadn't pre-arranged pick up from my school and told them what time I would be coming in from the train. This also wouldn't be an issue if I had a working cell phone and a number to contact someone. I arrived in Stockholm around 4....and my train was at 4:27...perfect. I'd never gotten luggage faster than I did here which was in my favor, however it had slipped my mind that I needed to take a train from the airport, to stockholm city (20 minutes)...and catch my 4:27 train there. That was not happening. By this point I realize I'm screwed because a) I am going to miss this train and b) I had told the school to pick me up at 8:55.
Only to make things better ( I hope you can sense my sarcasm) the only next available train once I arrived at Stockholm city was at 6:50. For those of you who don't know, vaxjo is about a 3 1/2 hour train ride from Stockholm. 7 pm...plus 3 1/2 hours...you do the math...I missed my pick up. Finding my way through the train station was hell. Mind you I have my 2, 50 pound bags and my back pack to lug around everywhere, and the one elevator to the platform I need is broken. again, just my luck. I somehow carry each suitcase up about 2 flights of stairs and board the train. I find the luggage area easily and have never been happier to sit. Doesn't stop there. Apparently in Europe and Scandinavia and these parts you have to sit where your ticket tells you. So, back down the train steps with my luggage and into a different cart. (the bruises I had after all of this, you would have thought someone beat me). I was FINALLY situated and ready to just be in vaxjo. We arrived around 10:45 and there was not a soul in town, nor were there really any lights on in stores or places around the station. At this point I knew I had to somehow find a hotel and sleep there. I was so weak by now, and hadn't eaten since the nuggets in the airport and the 2 bites of lasagna. I'd been traveling for over 15 hours and just wanted somewhere to sleep. After being turned down at one hotel, I finally found one, which might as well have been the best in town. I had to paid around 200 dollars for one night. I didn't even care at this point.
I walked into my room, and just started crying. Mostly because I was relieved to be somewhere and sleep but also because I had no idea where I was, where I was going and doing and how to contact anyone. After talking to Jared and Krista before I went to bed to let them know I was safe, I crashed.
The next morning, now wednesday, I got a hold of my school and finally made it to campus to my one room flat. By this point I had told krista to tell mom that I was fine and made it safe but wasnt too sure that she did. I got a message from my mom saying my school had called her when I never showed up on the train. If you know bets, you can imagine how she handled this situation, as would any mother. They also didn't fail to inform her that in all the years of hosting exchange students, they have NEVER had a lost student. ha. great.
I was driven to my apartment on campus and given the keys to my flat. A little small, but it'll do the trick for 4 and 1/2 months. However, the bed is the most ridiculous thing I have ever slept on. Comfort wise it is fine, but it's about 6ft long by 2ft wide. I have never seen such a thing. It'll have to due, but there have been nights where I've almost fallen out. The apartment has two little tables, a table to eat from with chairs, my bed. two closets, cabinets above the stove, a sink and a little fridge next to the stove. again, it'll do. After a few hours, I was finally unpacked and completely settled in ready to explore the campus.
No comments:
Post a Comment